Friday, March 28, 2008

Community Development

Today was sure a surprise! I got to meet the people from the Community Development Division of the government ministry who requested that a community development volunteer be sent here. i.e. My reason for being here.

Apparently they have just received approval, hired some workers (including the one who is my island contact), and completed training. I am excited to be right here and ready to start at the beginning of the program.

The lady I work with is full of knowledge about the people and places on the island. She is just what I have needed to put some pieces of this volunteering puzzle together.

Since we arrived six months ago, we have been exploring, meeting people, asking questions, and learning about what is wanted and needed here. We had put together a list of projects we might become involved in to meet some of those wants and needs. But we couldn't seem to get a primary project started without more knowledge about who is good at what, who is trying to get projects started, and whom we could help and encourage to get some things done.

Well, now we have it. And now I can get busy!

No comments: