<---- Photo showing the sun streaming in our north windows.
North Americans know that the sun always comes from the south. The south rooms in your home are warmer. Moss grows on the north side of trees because the sun does not shine there. Right?
Guess what! Where I am, right now the sun is coming from the NORTH. The photo above shows sun streaming in our north windows. It pretty much spooks me when I think about it.
Ask a science teacher to be sure of this, but I think the reason is something like this:
I am at 18 degrees north latitude. The earth tilts at 23.5 degrees. So just now as earth travels around the sun, the sun is directly overhead a little north of my 18 degrees. The sun will appear to climb farther north until it gets to 23.5 degrees north latitude on the spring equinox on June 20th, and then seem to gradually creep farther south until it is again south of my 18 degrees and shines in my south windows. If you can explain it better, please leave a "comment" below!
So I will only see this phenomenon for a couple of months. Some people don't notice. But if you do notice, it is a little wierd. At least old Sol still rises in the east and sets in the west. Don't change that on me, pleeeze!
No comments:
Post a Comment