This article started it all in fourth grade. I take from this Volunteer adventure the things I came for:
To be part of the Volunteer service. I have dreamed of it since fourth grade.
To make friends and learn new culture, ideas, and attitudes living as a local in a tourist paradise.
To share my talents. Home ec and business combined in surprising ways!
To experience nature. Two tropical storms - edges of Hurricanes Dean and Omar. One earthquake. Heat, humidity, the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. The tropical sun shining from the north.
To learn the location and characteristics of all those little islands in the Caribbean.
Surprise Bonus = Music! I not only learned to play the steel pan; I played with a whole elemetary school band for the whole fall term! The sound! The energy! The smiles! The dancing! My joy to treasure. Thank you, Mr. T
Photo taken when students flocked into the band room during morning break. They love to play!
No comments:
Post a Comment