Friday, April 3, 2009

Time to go

Today I emailed notice that it is time for me to go home.
My project here is almost finished. The last few pieces have fallen into place:
The woodshop (bless the tutors and apprentices) has completed a gorgeous cabinet for the Tourism Office to display and sell the souvenirs that are made in "my" Handicraft Center. That will replace the 2.5-gallon Hefty zip-close plastic bag that has humbly served throughout this tourist season. Maybe a nice display will help to increase sales. [D'ya think?!]


Display case graciously refurbished
by our pals at the Youth Skills Center:



My last monthly report to the stakeholders needs to be transferred from my head onto paper. How can I convey my visions of possibilities for the Center? There are so many aspects of Island Life that can be enhanced at the Center!
Vocational Education [clothing alterations, jewelry making, needlework, and bottling jam could all augment the personal income of industrious islanders];
Preservation of Culture and Heritage [passing along native crafts to a new generation];
Promotion of Tourism [providing regular access to unique souvenirs];
Marketing of the Island [souvenirs go home to many countries to tell the Island's story]; and
Production of Income [profits from the sales go to the local government].
I had hoped to get farther along the path of these visions, but I sense my presence is intimidating and implies that I will do it all, which is impossible. So with a happy heart, I leave the Center in the hands of those who know the sources of the materials and have the talent to turn them into reality.

No comments: